CHECK THIS OUT!!!




Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Q&A with Atlanta Singer/ Talk Show Host Jermaine Sain

Q/A:  SINGER/ TALK SHOW HOST, JERMAINE SAIN
 
http://www.mtv.com/artists/jermaine-sain/biography/Tell us a bit about yourself.
Jermaine: I’m a simple guy with a passion for entertainment.  I started singing in my local church when I was around twelve years old, and since that day, I have always had a passion for singing.

How have you navigated through the industry to secure session work?
Jermaine: Although I consider myself to be a newcomer to the industry, the majority of my session work has come through affiliations.  Most of the session work I’ve done on a larger scale was because I sang with a group that was being booked for the session.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPJP3Q4jvHs&list=PLj1N3Nat2aKMZQh1D1geRCd6xSjFDgv4X
What would you say is the best tip for upcoming musicians to get their foot in the door?
Jermaine: As much as I would like to have a simple formula, it’s so hard to say because everyone’s path is so different.  However, I would say that you must be creative.  What I mean by that is, sometimes you can’t always expect to get your start by being discovered.  You may have to do things beyond the norm to get started, like barter services. For example, if you have someone that you want to work with, research them and find an area of expertise that you can assist them with in exchange for the opportunity.  Now this doesn’t mean that you’ll have to do this all the time but it would at least get you started.  And like I always say, you never know who else will be there and who that person will refer you to, now for a paid opportunity.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hez4l-BgLdU




https://www.facebook.com/jermainesain/posts/10201225344025202Would you say it's best to stick to one genre or diversify with many?
Jermaine: Most of my opportunities have generally been within the same genre, however, after speaking with several session/ background vocalists, I would say that it is very important that you diversify yourself because it will increase your possible opportunities as well as, helps you understand the basic textures, tones, and phrasing required for certain styles of music.

How important is it to have an educational background in music?
Jermaine:  I would assume that having a degree in music is never a bad thing when you are pursuing a musical career; however, I know plenty of successful musicians and singers that don’t have a degree


What do you find is a common skill or attitude that artists look for when hiring backing vocalists or session musicians?
Jermaine:  There isn’t a particular skill that I can think of at the moment but I can say that if I were to hire a backing vocalist, the first thing I would look for is a person who can easily work independently.  I don’t mean independently as in, wants to be a solo artist. I’m referring to someone that can learn parts quickly and able/willing to adjust to immediate changes in music, venues, times, etc.

Tell us about your business.
Jermaine:  When We Speak TV and SAINJ Productions are closely related. When We Speak TV is an independently owned network that caters to entertainment with a close focus on indie music professionals.  In summary, it’s like a television network. Currently we have one show that falls under When We Speak TV, which is the talk show that I host called When We Speak  and hoping to add more in the near future.  SAINJ Productions is basically a production company responsible for the production of When WeSpeak and occasionally assists local artists with production needs for events, concerts, etc.
http://musicians.allaboutjazz.com/jermainesain
How do you hear about upcoming sessions, auditions is there a website that offers information or is it more networking?
Jermaine:  The majority of sessions I hear about are through networking with other singers and music professionals because sometimes the hiring personnel doesn’t have the time to look for a singer, so they will ask people that they know.  However, there are a few sites that I’ve ran across that have legitimate session opportunities but I would advise that you research the company and people involved if possible.

GREAT BIG THANKS TO JERMAINE SAIN, WHEN WE SPEAK TV, & SAINJ PRODUCTIONS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment